BEIC participants will:
- Develop and implement evidence-based teaching practices aligned with Vision and Change to improve outcomes for undergraduates at 2- and 4-year institutions.
- Collaborate with fellow educators to build teaching materials and programs
- Participate in professional development opportunities aimed at developing instructional and education research skills
- Disseminate their products at biology education research conferences or in biology education journals
Who can be involved?
We are looking for collaborative teams of 2-year and 4-years educators. We encourage participation of educators from Primarily Undergraduate Institutions (PUIs) and Minority Serving Institutions. Educators are primarily faculty but can also include graduate students, post-docs, and instructors. Teams consist of 3-6 educators from at least two neighboring institutions (at least one 2-year and one 4-year).
BEIC Applications are now open and due March 12th, 2021
Applications are to be submitted here.
Each individual of this team will download and submit the application file and departmental endorsement form to the Google Form link above. This form will enable you to submit your information (name, institution, email, etc) as well as upload your application file. This upload will require you to have a google account. If you do not, please have another individual on your team upload your file for you (but please still complete the information section of the form).
Your application file will contain the following:
- Departmental Endorsement form completed by your Department Chair.
- Your CV
- Responses to the Individual Questions (below)
- Responses to the Team Questions (below). Responses to these questions can be identical for each individual of your proposed Faculty Learning Community.
- Department endorsement form
- Outline of an evidence-based teaching intervention, program, or education research project to be implemented on the campus of all FLC participants
- Describe the impetus for the proposed project
If selected, FLC participants will be expected to:
(1) Create and implement a collaborative project,
(2) Participate in the HHMI Summer Institute on Scientific Teaching* hosted at UCSD in year 1 of the program,
(3) Attend SABER West* in year 2 of the program to share progress,
(4) Disseminate project results at the annual SABER meeting* and CourseSource workshop in year 2 of the program
*BEIC will support travel and registration costs associated with these activities
If you are interested in participating, but have not yet identified a team, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.